Saturday, May 20, 2017

Wanderlust - Charleston, South Carolina edition

If I haven't mentioned it before I love to travel. Seriously love to travel. If Booze Traveler wasn't already a thing it could be my thing...our thing.


I am lucky to have a partner in travel that loves it at least as much as I do. I guess I have always known I have a wondering soul, but after Mark and I got together this near obsession started to surface over and over and over again!

Together we have been to at least 20 states and 25 countries. I (we) want more. 



This is a brief look at the last two visits we have made to the Charleston, South Carolina area and what makes it amazing (besides having family there).

Travel doesn't have to be over the top out of reach expensive. You also don't have to go to far away places to feel like you have been swept away. Charleston is a beautiful city that transports you to far away places with wind swept dunes and architecture that you will drool over. Haunted spaces and history both beautiful and filled with horror and hate.



You could spend days wandering the city streets and still not see or taste it all.

We are blessed to have family to visit in the area so we get down generally at least twice a year. 

I love being a tourist. Here. There. Everywhere.

We spent a few days over the Christmas holiday there and we got to go see the Angel Oak. What is the Angel Oak you say? It is a scrumptious ancient live oak. The tree is thought to be at least 400 years old and is located on Johns Island, SC. The day we visited was drizzly and cool, but the tree was all that I had hoped it would be.


I love trees. Especially the old gnarled ones covered in moss and lichens and other growies. Seriously look at this beauty. She is like a spiderweb of branches and leaves. Just stop and think about what this tree has seen the people that have touched her and admired her strength and history.
 People that have looked up through these same branches and just breathed in the salty air.
Look at the life. Look at those gorgeous ferns just making a life for themselves on one of her branches. She is an entire little ecosystem.
I really thought this post was going to be about more than just the visit to the Angel Oak, but I think I am going to leave it just like this. I have more...but I will save it for another post. 
Who knows if this little one will retain her first visit to the Angel Oak, but my wish is that she find a love of nature and trees and moss and ferns and bugs and sand and surf and birds and stars and all of the other amazing that nature gives us every single day if we take the time to look around.

So take a second to stop. Take a deep breath. See the beauty. Love the dandelion and the cicada. See them for the amazing part of this dance we are in. Find your rhythm in nature. 


GO HUG A TREE!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment