Monday, May 22, 2017

Wait, why are they throwing that out? Stop the truck!

I suffer from a serious collection disorder. 

You de-clutter and I re-clutter.

So a few weeks back I was driving through the neighborhood when I saw a rickety rocking chair sitting in someones trash. I get back to the house...grab the truck being careful not to disturb (aka let him know what I am up to) Mark. This is tough because if you have ever seen our Ruby girl she is tough to miss because she sounds like a freaking school bus...without a muffler...on steroids.

The chair was obtained with no issues and promptly deposited in the garage. No Mark.


A bit later..."hey, why did you take the truck?" Busted. For the record the answer 'ohhh no reason' is guaranteed to arouse suspicion. After a few choice words and eye rolls we move on.

I debated what color to go with. My heart was screaming for a turquoise or fire engine red, but the mostly hidden practical side of me went with black - really shiny black. I knew this was a piece I was going to part with and figured black would be most appealing.

So here is what we started with. Some people have mentioned they thought it was a commode chair, but unless you have some interesting bathroom challenges I can't see a rocking chair used for this purpose. My thoughts are that it had caning or maybe some type of padded seat inserted, but who knows.



After a light sanding (and by light I mean mostly non-existent) I took her out to 
the paint shop.

I grabbed my handy and favorite cans of spray paint and went to town!!!


After several coats of glossy black paint I sealed her with a triple glaze. 
I went to my second home the thrift shop and found an old steamer pot with handles that fit perfectly into the hole in the seat.


Next I filled the steamer pot with some growies (yes I took out the newspapers) 
I bought at local store.


As the plants grow and the flowers bloom it should really pop against the black of the chair. I am happy with how it turned out and am excited for her to find a gorgeous porch to spend the lazy summers.

 I just adore the lion (I am totally guessing) on the top of the chair!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment