Friday, January 6, 2017

New England in December. Domestic fun.

A day trip to Newport, Rhode Island.

A few weeks ago I found myself with a few hours to kill after dropping Mark off at Boston Logan Airport (which is a really weird airport). I was running through a thousand possibilities of what I could do with myself and had a few that I narrowed it down to:
  • Go to New Hampshire. Why? New Hampshire along with Maine are the only two (2) New England states I haven't visited.
  • Go to the Cape. I have never been here either, but when Billy Joel signs of the hard working baymen that live in the area, who wouldn't want to go check it out.
  • Head to Newport and look at the fancy houses all decked out for the holidays.
I chose Newport. I have been here before so I am fairly comfortable with the area which makes life a little easier. Plus, I could go to the ocean and know where I was and I always need more ocean in my life.


Newport is old New England. Gas lamps and beautiful crisp houses line the roads just outside the beautiful downtown.

Then there is mansion after gilded mansion lining Belleview Avenue and some pretty spectacular houses elsewhere too...
On a previous visit we toured The Breakers, you know the summer home of the Vanderbilts. It was a smidge cramped for my liking and only has 70 rooms. What were they thinking??? 

I was surprised how few houses (at least on the outside) were dolled up for the holidays. Still beautiful just simply dressed in wreathes and red bows.

Ocean Avenue

Out Ocean Avenue I went to gawk at more RPP (rich people's property). Seriously some of the most gorgeous houses with massive stone outcroppings in the lawns overlooking the ocean? Yes please!

I stopped on an marsh overlook and snapped a few quick pics. It is hard to take bad pictures when everything is so gorgeous.

 
Ocean Avenue, not surprisingly runs the perimeter of the island and affords you many scenic stops and amazing views of, you guessed it, the ocean (and a bay or two as well).


Next stop Brenton Point State Park.

Did I mention it was cold this December day? Oh it was soooo cold. But that will not deter me from touching the ocean and collecting a few souvenirs. I am a HUGE fan of all things natural. Trees. Rocks. Sea shells. Okay, I really like trees and rocks and tress are hard to put in a carry on so since these beaches are rocky you can guess what I brought home. The hard part for me is not taking all of them. As you can guess rocks are kinda heavy (no pumice here) and lugging them through two of the countries biggest airports  is not so much fun. But the rocky beaches oh the rocky beaches...they are gorgeous!

This history of this property is fascinating. If you want to know more about it, click here.


I mean look at what I had to choose from...


I WANT THEM ALL!!!

But I settled for three (maybe four) and they made the journey from the ocean to Chicago with me. 
I visited at low tide and love getting to see how life clings to places it seems impossible to survive, but somehow it does. I loved the sea weed clinging to these rocks.


This state park is quite the little gem. I mean, seriously, look at the beginnings of this sunset over that beach!


Nature is so amazing...look at this erosion! I know I am such a science dork, but wow, just WOW!


Around the bend from this beach is a big open field and as I was driving past I noticed a building in the trees that was falling down. It intrigued me, but I went on in search of a mysterious lighthouse (never found it - next time I will find you adorable little lighthouse!). I was coming back around I decided I really wanted to see what this place was. It is cold like near the ocean cold. And I was by myself and no one knew where I was...and well I just didn't care. I stopped and traipsed back through the empty field to figure out what this thing was.

This is what I found: 





It was old and falling down and covered in graffiti and drop dead gorgeous. I thought it was a house. I was wrong. After some searching, this is what I found about this structure, "The mansion's carriage house and stables still stand, though they have been fenced off and are routinely patrolled by park rangers. A stone observation tower is used by park rangers and tourists to view the forest and ocean." 
Of course I found and climbed the observation tower...I mean wouldn't you? 
This is where the alone and no one knows where I am also comes into play. To get to the tower you have to wander behind the stables and past a mess of overgrown grounds with suspicious pathways leading to who knows where...and if I had been with someone I may have snuck in for a peek (next time). 

This is the beautiful tower: 


And this is the view from the tower:





I can only image how gorgeous it would be in the other seasons as well.

Earlier I professed my love of trees, and this property was home to a gorgeous creature. She was old, and she was gnarled, and when I touched her I imagined all that she has seen. She was spectacular.




After conversing with this beauty I headed back to the car and made one last stop at the famous cliff walk <<< Click for more info. I have been here before, but it was much warmer and this day was not. I did not stay long, but I managed to snap a few quick pictures, because you know water and beauty!




I love the history. The style. The beauty. The grace.
Oh I also love moss and lichens and growy things. Especially when it is on rocks or trees.



A great big thank to our family for hosting us and providing a base camp for so many great adventures. I look forward to going back and finding more forgotten history and bringing home more rocks.



What do you collect? And do you have a favorite State or National Park?

No comments:

Post a Comment