Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Europe. My first time across the pond. England.

Most people travel to a single destination...

This is what I thought. Then I met Mark and his version of travel. 

Mark's travel philosophy number 127 is do everything and go every where just in case you never get back to this particular location. 
Mark travel philosophy number 8,027 don't repeat destinations - go some place new.

My first trip across the pond was to a conference on the Olympics hosted by the London contingent of my second Alma Mater Ithaca College London Center. I had to submit a presentation proposal and get accepted both of which worked out well for me! So in May of 2010 we fly off to London, England passport and presentation on Ambush Marketing in the Olympics in hand!

We land and the first course of business is getting a pint and fish and chips. We stopped in to a random pub on our walk to our hotel and it was everything I was hoping it would be and so much more! The British people know how to use sauces, seriously, I mean they have one for everything I swear and I loved them all!  Try them all!!! Ugh! Why can't I find my pictures!!! I know you can guess what fried fish and french fries look like.

I will skip over the pleasantries and hit some highlights. Kensington and Chelsea are beautiful. Clean, lots of food and pub options and The Tube was close by. The London Underground is fantastic. It is easy to navigate, it was clean, and they are concerned about your safety...always reminding you To Mind The Gap (this means the space between the cars and the platform).


Londoners are also extremely polite and they are aware that they do in fact drive on the wrong side of the road. Why do I say this? Because at every crosswalk when you look down you will see:

Or you will see one that says look left on the other side of the road. And yes it was extremely helpful!

They also seemed to park however...see a spot? Take it? Facing the wrong direction? Whatever.
Before and after the conference we did get some sight seeing in and I will say London is gorgeous. 

Tower Bridge and The Tower of London = Amazing.






And while I am still not sure I understand mushy peas, I did understand 221b Baker Street!

I also got to see the beauty of Kensington Gardens in the spring and the gates of Windsor Palace.




There is so much more, but I can't find all of my pictures and I don't want to make this post too long. There will be sequels and possibly prequels because this trip also included visits to Ireland, Northern Ireland, and Spain, but that would make a book not a blog. 


Travel tips:

  • Go off the beaten path - this is where you find the best food and the best pubs. Ask a local where they go and try it.
  • See the big stuff too! When else can you say, "Look kids, Big Ben...Parliment." Over and over and over again and actually be looking at it.
  • On that note see where some of your favorite TV shows or movies were filmed. While here we visited Platform 9 3/4 and took pictures of ourselves pushing a luggage cart through a brick wall. Since we never got to the train I can only assume we are indeed muggles.
  • Notice the outside stuff too. Visit gardens and walk by rivers. See plant and animals native to where you are traveling. One of my favorites: bird watching, but I am a bird nerd sooooo.......
Where was your first abroad adventure and what was the best thing you learned on your trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment