Monday, June 4, 2012

2012 a year of firsts...

The year is 2012 and this will be the year I compete in my first triathlon. I know I have talked about it before on my blog, but I wanted to touch on it again. The tri is called Iron Girl and it is a race for women only and I am mildly terrified. Not so much of the running or the biking or even the act of swimming, but I am petrified of the wetsuit. It hangs in my closet like an intruder waiting with an ax. I sleep with a light on so it doesn't sneak up on me in the middle of the night.

Okay the second first (is that proper English) is going to be a half marathon. Yep 13.1 miles. Thirteen point one miles. What am I thinking? Who does that and why? The way I am justifying it is...if I am doing the Boilermaker (which is a second) anyway which is 9.3 miles what is another 3.8 miles? That is only another 5k plus .7. No big deal. Right? That is what I keep telling myself. Oh yeah and the Boilermaker is less than 6 weeks away. WHAT??? Okay now I haven't actually signed up for one yet, but I am. Just got find one that guarantees 50 degrees, light rain, it must be all slightly downhill, and it must end with adult beverages. Shouldn't be too tough to find.

Then the coup de grace...the piece de resistance...the WTF are you thinking...the third first...I am going to run a marathon. Yes a full mary. The run that only between .1% and 2% of people will ever do in their life. Why? Because I can. It is on my bucket list. I am going to run the Gateway Bank Outer Banks Marathon on Sunday, November 11, 2012. There I said it out loud and I said it online (where everything is true).

The lesson I learned is IT IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA TO TALK TO YOUR MOM ABOUT RUNNING AFTER DRINKING MULTIPLE GLASSES OF WINE OR YOU WILL END UP COMMITTING TO RUNNING A MARATHON.

Corgis say what are you thinking?


No comments:

Post a Comment