Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Force, movement and direction of travel - Easy arrow wall art

Sometimes you have an empty wall that calls to you and says decorate me, but you are not sure what is meant to be there.
Then it dawns on you. Your wall and decoration can be so much more than just filled with frames and drawings, but it can be given meaning and inspiration.

Enter the simple, but powerful arrow.

Arrows have much lore in Native American Heritage and different tribes looked at them with different eyes and in varying context, but there are several meanings that seem to reoccur...

"The meaning of the above single arrow indicated protection and defense. Arrows also signified direction, force, movement, power and direction of travel. When an arrow pointed to the left it meant warding off evil, pointing to the right meant protection and an arrow pointing down meant peace. Two arrows depicted together were the symbol for war.A bundle of five arrows represented one of the five founding tribes of the Iroquois League. One arrow could easily be broken, while a bundle of five arrows would remain strong. Crossed arrows were symbols of friendship. A broken arrow was a symbol of peace." found here.





So thank you Pinterest for providing me with endless ideas and many hours of time that I will never get back, but thank you also for sending me this easy arrow how to that has begun to fill my wall void with inspiration and color.
A big shout out to Festoon and Frill for providing me with the knowledge!

Luck for me I already had everything on hand I needed to get started (go figure)...
-popsicle sticks (each arrow as shown uses 15 sticks)
-glue gun
-glue gun glue (very important when using a glue gun)
-patience (ugh I am such an instant gratification woman)
-spray paint (duh)

It took a few tries to get the shape I wanted and so that it was mostly symmetrical. I made three (3) before I ran low in sticks, but according to the lore I think I want to have a bundle of five (5). I may shake of the design and add a few super basic ones to the mix, but we will see where the glue gun leads me.


Here is an unpainted arrow just...you know...hanging out in my herbs, because where else would it be?

And here are two spray painted (navy blue and metallic copper) hanging on the wall with you basic clear thumb tack.

I love how they turned out. Quick. Easy. Fun. Colorful. Symbolic. What more cold you ask for? 


What so you think?
Do you have any quick go to crafts you use to decorate?


No comments:

Post a Comment