Friday, July 22, 2016

Transformations...a guide to paint. Yes, I have issues.

My name is Maureen and I have a problem...with spray paint...and interior paint (not actually applying it to walls though) and curtains, and ugly lamps, but that is another post.

So a friend that will remain nameless introduced me to something called chalk paint. No, not like chalkboard paint. This paint has calcium carbonate, crushed chalk, in it (or a few other options if you choose to make it yourself...which I did). Some of the big box home improvement store are now starting to carry there own brand which you can tint in house or if you are live in an area that has a store that carries the original Annie Sloan chalk paint, brushes and wax you can go that route too. I have not used the original Annie Sloan, but opted to make my own to see if I liked it.
Enter Pinterest.

I used a basic recipe that is latex paint, plaster of paris, and water and for the wax I used Minwax floor wax in the dark finish.
I used a basic paintbrush for the paint and a round craft brush for the wax.

My first project was a nightstand that I had as a child in the 70s and 80s...you know the one the off white with the gold trim. I am horrible at before pictures because I am always in a hurry to get going and then I am all like duh...and take a half-assed pic of whatever I haven't yet painted.
For example:

The drawer sans hardware...pre paint.


The top of the nightstand.
The thing I love most about chalk paint is how little prep work you actually need to do. You can TSP it with some water, but I just used a damp rag with water to get off the cobwebs and top layer of yuck.

I mixed my paint and went to town. This stuff dries super fast and just sticks right on.
In progress.

I did two coats of paint. Next you distress the piece if you want to give it the antique shabby chic kind of look if you want. There are no rules to this...grab some sand paper and go to town on the areas where the piece would normally show wear...like the edges. Do as little or as much there is no right or wrong here.
Waxed.
Brush off your dust and wax on...wax off. On this first piece I forgot to get extra fine steel wool to take off any excess wax, but it turned out fine.If it got goopey I wiped it down with a soft cloth.
This piece has the Minwax dark wax on it which I love. I did one coat and let it dry for about 30 minutes then went back and added a second. I let the piece sure overnight and polished it up in the morning.
Here is it with the hardware replaced and waxed.

Gratuitous frontal shot.
I love how this turned out and for a first go it turned out pretty well! 
A few things to remember:
Once you wax it is almost impossible to unwax a piece.
You have options other than wax to seal the piece (will be discussed later) which can be more forgiving if you want to make a change in the future.
The wax could use touched up in the future and may require maintenance. It can also melt in extreme temperatures, so just be aware.

Next up...old door transformed into a headboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment