Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Camping Foods - make ahead meals to take with you on the road.


So, I started this post about 4 months ago...

Not my fault though, because I finished it and it was glorious and then the internet ate it and did not give it back. I will try again, because it was just that good and you deserve this in your life. Plus, I haven't done a food post in a while.

A few months back I polled fb for my friends favorite camping meals.
Okay back up a few steps, a several months more back we decided to buy a travel trailer. We shopped around and started looking at used pop-up campers >>> which turned into new pop-ups>>>which turned into used travel trailers 30 feet or less and used 5th wheels>>>which turned into new travel trailers>>>which turned into a 37 foot bunkhouse with three sinks, two refrigerators, and air conditioning. FOR TWO OF US! When we do things we go big and ridiculous. 

Say hello to Winona...she is glorious and ridiculous, but mostly glorious.


Okay, back to food. One meal I decided on was zucchini enchiladas. Yep. No/low carb enchiladas and I swear you won't even miss the tortilla.

Directions included. If you miss something scroll down.

Now that we live in the Chicagoland area and are close to the countries third largest city, we have access to amazing food both made for us and for us to make ourselves. A few miles from the house we have a tienda that has not only the most amazing tiny restaurant, but you can buy the product and bring it home and make it yourself. Since I am a veg, I will have to take Mark's word for it that the al pastor and the marinated skirt steak are out of this world.

For my enchiladas I cut up a few portobello mushrooms and seasoned those just like I did the meat.

If you have ever seen me cook I am not really a measurer. I make a semi effort, but I generally am a taster and adjuster because of being a taster.
Preheat oven to 350 (unless you are making these to freeze and cook later).

Start by dicing up your onion & garlic and sauteing those little tasty bastards until they get to know each other really well.

Now add in the cumin & chili powder...ummm smells divine! 

Look how happy they all get to be together!


Prep filling. In a separate pan cook filling (if needed - since I was doing one veg and two non they all got there own pans).
 

While all of the goods are cooking prep your zucchini. I sliced mine on a mandolin, but you could use a good veggie slicer too...just don't mandolin your hands!!!! 

Mix filling with spices, onions, & garlic.

 
Now you can add cilantro here if you want....uuuummmmm cilantro. Add in half of your red or green enchilada sauce to the filling and simmer while you lay out about three zucchini slices parallel to each other. Next fill with a spoonful of you filling and don't worry about them being perfect, they will soon be covered in more sauce and cheese and no one will ever know.
 

Roll up and place into a baking dish. Repeat until you run out of everything. I had a little left over filling so I just dumped it on the top and then covered it with the cheese and additional enchilada sauce. 
 


Put these beauties into the oven and let them cook for about 20-25 minutes until the cheese is all melted and bubbly and yummy.
Serve & garnish with sour cream & cilantro or whatever makes your heart sing at that moment. 

These are seriously amazing and you are going to love them whether you eat the right away or freeze and take for later.

SSSOOOOOOO GOOOOOODDDD now I want enchiladas....




No comments:

Post a Comment