Friday, May 17, 2013

As the Garden Turns...

So the garden has expanded this year. Actually, it has doubled in size. Gardening is such a learning experience for me. For example I have learned that parsley and I am going to assume cilantro are biennial plants. I was surprised to see it making a return appearance when the ground thawed and will be sure to make sure I let some go to seed. Cilantro also spreads. I have volunteer cilantro plants all over where they weren't before. I also have a mess of chives. So far we have harvested, used and or dried cilantro, parsley and chives and it is only mid May. The strawberries are also propagating well and if the slugs or bunnies don't get them I fully expect to have at least three edible ones.

We have also planted about 15 million hot peppers. I don't even like hot peppers, but we have three of every scorch your mouth variety and eight others you never knew existed. Needless to say I will not be checking to see if they live up to their hotness claims.

We also planted last weekend seeds. Lots of seeds. I am not very good with seeds, but we shall see. What went into the ground...beets. Lots of beets. Beets of all colors. I love beets. Also collards, chard, spinach and some lettuces. I stuck a few onions in that had sprouted in the cupboards too just to see what would happen. Also the vertical garden got some peas planted...

In the front herb/flower gardens I put in: calendula (which I have been mispronouncing for weeks), two varieties of dill, basil, bells of ireland, cone flower and I feel as if I am forgetting one or two...I have a diagram somewhere.

On the food front we have made ginger wine, more kefir water and kombucha, rhubarb compote, rhubarb jam and rhubarb with rosemary jam. We have our first attempt at home brewed wine going on in the basement and the thoughts of trying our hand at some other varieties soon too...oh and today I made a batch of pickled beets and eggs which are happily pickling as we speak. Yum!

I will try to get some pictures of the garden progress and updates so I can keep track of what I am doing too. My virtual log book.


No comments:

Post a Comment